For Father’s Day we’re making the perfect Man Food this week for #SundaySupper. I had to think long and hard to decide what to make. I started by asking Hubby what his favorite thing is that I make. He didn’t know. After thinking a lot about it myself I asked him again, but this time I asked him what he wanted me to make for him for Father’s Day. He wanted beef heart. My first reaction was – YUCK! Hubby LOVES offal – liver, heart, gizzards, all kinds of animal parts that make me cringe. When he cooks any of it for himself (which he does not do often, out of respect for the rest of us) I get nauseaus just from the smell. I told him I would not be making him heart for Father’s Day. Could he possibly think of ANYTHING else he might like me to make? (He will be making heart for himself for Father’s Day, by the way). After a bit of thinking, he chose cheesecake. Classic cheesecake. Nothing fancy. No fancy flavors or fancy crusts, just simple, classic cheesecake. I could do that.
So I started researching cheesecake recipes and felt that my favorites were a Sour Cream Cheesecake from Alton Brown, because it included a standard graham cracker crust, cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, whole eggs and egg yolk which sounded perfect to me and Grandmother’s Cheesecake from Allrecipes because I liked the cooking method. I didn’t want to try cooking the cake in a water bath, so I hoped that the cooking method for the Grandmother’s Cheesecake would work with the Sour Cream Cheesecake from Alton Brown.
- 2½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1¼ cups sour cream
- 2½ (8 oz.) packages cream cheese (20 oz. total)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Butter the bottom of a spring foam pan and line it with parchment paper. Line an additional baking sheet with parchment paper as well.
- Preheat oven to 300° Fahrenheit.
- Combine crust ingredients and press ⅔ of mixture into the bottom of the pan. Place remaining ⅓ of mixture on the lined baking sheet and bake both for 10 minutes. Cool and reserve remaining crumbs for the sides of the cake.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200° Fahrenheit.
- Beat sour cream in a mixer for 10 seconds.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes, and add to sour cream, followed by sugar and beat for 30 seconds on low, then increase to medium and beat a little more. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl.
- In a seperate bowl combine the remaining ingredients.
- With the mixer on medium, slowly pour in half of the remaining mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl, return the mixer to medium and pour in the rest of the mixture and mix until completely incorporated.
- Pour into the cooled crust.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven.
- Turn off oven and open oven door for 1 minute.
- Close oven door and leave cheesecake in the oven for an additional hour.
- Remove from oven and chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Top with your favorite fruit or just enjoy as is.
What are the other #SundaySupper folks making for their Father’s Day Man Food? Check it out!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cowboy Beef Nachos by Daily Dish Recipes
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fava Bean Puree on Toast by Sustainable Dad
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beer Pizza Crust by Mess Makes Food
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Burger by Yours and Mine are Ours
- Jerk Chicken Wings by Momma’s Meals
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Go??bki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches w/ Ancho Chile-Coffee BBQ Sauce by La Cocina de Leslie
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Beer Ice Cream by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Roasted Strawberry Pound Cake Stacks by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?
It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Want to know the #WeekdaySupper Menu for this Week?
Pop on over to our Weekday Supper Newsletter to see all the DELICIOUS things we’ll be cooking up!
This post will be shared on The Yuck Stops Here