What is a Crudités Tray? It’s actually just a fancy way to say a vegetable tray. Every Thanksgiving, Easter or other family gathering I end up bringing the Crudités Tray. I think it’s because the rest of my family does not think it’s an important part of the meal. But I do. That’s why when I found out that the theme of this week’s SundaySupper was trays and platters I knew I had to make one. This tray would be great for a Labor Day celebration tomorrow, a holiday platter, entertaining or any day.
I had also been doing research on making Ranch Dressing and I had found a recipe for Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Mix which included dried mushrooms to replace the flavor of the msg in the original mix. I had seen lots of other recipes, but none of them included anything to mimic/replace that flavor. I thought dried mushroom was a brilliant idea for replacing it, and how nice to make a homemade version of a mix without msg but with deep earthy flavor.
So I set out to make my dip and I hit a road block. I couldn’t find dried mushrooms anywhere. I looked at Sprouts, I looked at Trader Joe’s, I tried to look at Vitamin Cottage, but couldn’t find it (I had never been there before). I was finally able to find some at Whole Foods Market. But I had recently run out of freeze dried dill. It’s usually easy to find, right in the spice aisle at my Wal-Mart Superstore. I stopped at the local Wal-Mart Market because it’s usually not nearly as busy as the Superstore. However, they had NO freeze dried dill (or anything else for that matter). Next I checked Albertsons. NO freeze dried dill there. So I see sent Hubby to the Superstore next. I was certain he would come home with the dill, but when he got home I was dismayed to discover that the freeze dried dill shelves had been empty. So, still no dill. I ended up using regular dried dill (which is just as good).
- ½ cup Dry Buttermilk Powder
- 4 tsp. dried parsley, divided
- 1 tsp. dried dill, divided
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- 1¾ tsp. salt
- 1¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. dried mushroom pieces
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. sugar
- Combine dry buttermilk powder, 1 Tbsp. (3 tsp.) dried parsley, ½ tsp. freeze dried dill, onion powder, onion flakes, salt, garlic powder, mushroom pieces, black pepper and sugar in a blender or spice grinder and grind into a fine powder.
- Add remaining tsp of parsley and ½ tsp of dill and mix together.
- Store in an air tight container for 2-3 months or for up to 6 months in the freezer.
You can put any veggies you like on a Crudités Tray. I used carrot sticks, celery sticks, cute little salad peppers, tiger tomatoes from my mother’s garden (mostly green but one red one found its way in there), and cucumber slices from the delicious cukes from Mom’s garden as well. Then I used the dip mix to make dip and I had an awesome, easy, healthy, homemade Crudite Tray.
- 2 Tbsp. Homemade Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Powder
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Chill to set before serving.
If you have a favorite Labor Day dish OR a great platter or tray dish you love, come share it with us on The Yuck Stops Here recipe link party! Awesome food bloggers link bring their best recipes to share every week and we’d love to have you! This week’s party is open until tonight at 6pm ET (or if you’re too late this week, stop by sometime after Tuesday evening at 6pm ET next week to join us)! Swing by to share your dish and/or check out all the other YUMMY dishes that my bloggy friends have shared this week! Just click the link below to join us!
Do you need some more inspiration for tempting platters for Labor Day, other holidays, entertaining, or any day? This week’s #SundaySupper Tantalizing Trays Party is hosted by Connie of The Foodie Army Wife, check out the delicious Raspberry Fools she’s sharing for the party – Thanks Connie! Check out all the awesome platters the #SundaySupper folks have come up with:
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs by MealDiva
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac ‘n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman’s Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?
It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Want to know the #WeekdaySupper Menu for this Week?
Pop on over to our Weekday Supper Newsletter to see all the DELICIOUS things we’ll be cooking up!