Let’s admit it, the best cooks in our lives are our mothers. They just know how to make our sandwich, how sweet our coffee should be and they cook the best meals that make you feel warm and awesome. I never heard anyone say that they hate their mom’s cooking. And even if they are not chefs, you will always prefer home food than restaurant food on an everyday basis. Since our lovely moms are the mainstay in the kitchen, it is always a big deal if ever they get to have a break or they get to be served food instead of serving them.
Every mother’s day, I make sure that I make an effort to let my mom rest and just enjoy the whole day while I make the food. And since mother’s day is during the summer time, it is a great way to serve fresh fruits and make a salad. There is nothing else in mind when I think about fresh salads than using melon. Melons are full of water which makes it cool, refreshing and not to mention very delicious. Making it is quite easy and you can make different kinds of salads depending on your taste. And so today, I will share with you few recipes of melon salad for you mom on mother’s day and any day of the year that you think you want a fresh salad. Ready? Let’s go!
Melons have very fresh and light flavor which goes well with greens, some white cheeses, lemons, lime, and mint. You can also some chilies for some heat. This flavor profiles works really well and can be paired with amazing summer foods. It is so refreshing and healthy!
Fresh Mixed Melon Salad
- 2 Cups Charentais melon (fragrant cantaloupe) balls
- 2 Cups Watermelon balls
- 2 Cups Cantaloupe balls
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped mint
- whole mint leaves for garnish
- 3/4 cups lemon+lime juice
- 4 tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- Using a melon baller, make balls out of the mixed melons. Set aside. You can actually use whatever kind of melon that you want.
- Make the dressing by combining the lemon+lime juice with honey and salt. Whisk it in together until well combined.
- Toss it with the melon balls. Add the chopped mint. Garnish with some whole mint leaves. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours then serve.
Hot and Cold Melon Salad
The freshness of melons perfectly matches the kick of heat from chili powder and so creating a tasty contrast with the cold melons.
- 6 cups of mixed melon balls. (watermelon, cantaloupe, fragrant cantaloupe melon, honeydew etc.)
- 3 tbsp. mint leaves
- 3/4 cups lime juice.
- 4 tbsp. white cheese crumbles. (cotija, ricotta, goat cheese)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- sunflower seeds
- pinch of salt
- Make melon balls out of your choice of melons then put it in a large bowl.
- Mix in your lime juice, mint leaves, salt, and chili powder. Toss until everything is well coated. Mix in the sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Fresh Melon Salad with Greens
- 5 cups of salad greens (oak leaf, mâche, mizuna, watercress, romaine, leaf lettuce, baby chard, kale etc.)
- 1/2 small melon of your choice (watermelon, cantaloupe, fragrant cantaloupe melon, honeydew etc.)
- 1 cup fresh basil or cilantro
- 1/2 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Wash and dry your salad greens and tear them into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the melons into bite-sized squares.
- Combine the salad greens, melons, sunflower oil and your choice of herbs.
- Prepare your dressing by combining your extra virgin olive oil apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over to the mixed salad carefully, preferably with your hands to avoid the greens from getting soggy.
- Serve immediately.
This three melon salad recipes are perfect for your mother’s day dinner or lunch. I personally love serving it together with some grilled dishes like barbecue. A poolside or beachside lunch on a hot summer day with this fresh salads is awesome. I also love this with some seafood. It will also do great as a healthy snack every day. The kids will surely love this as it is colorful and tasty.
Mother’s day is a time where we like our moms to feel special and loved for all the things that they have done for us. This recipe might be simple but will surely be enjoyed by our lovely mothers and the whole family. I hope you loved this recipe. Make it with love and you can never go wrong. Until next!