Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Empty needle in /home/content/17/12011717/html/wp-includes/media.php on line 1088
What better way to say I love you to Mom than with a salad where the ingredients are heart shaped? This melon salad is simple, it’s just a combination of watermelon, honeydew and cantelope, cut into heart shapes with small heart cookie cutters and coated with a yummy, cheater creme anglaise and some fresh mint.
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 1 cantelope
- 1 honeydew melon
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (I used Hagen Daas French Vanilla), melted
- 3-4 Tbsp. finely chopped mint leaves
- Slice each melon into about 1 inch slices. I did this by slicing the melon in half first, for the honeydew and the cantelope I needed to scoop out the seeds from the center. Then I sliced each half into slices.
- Use a small heart cookie cutter to cut out heart shaped pieces of melon. You may choose to use more than one size cookie cutter, I found a set of heart cutters that had several sizes and we used the smallest 3 sizes to make small pieces of melon. The heart pieces don't have to be perfect.
- Put heart pieces into a bowl (a glass dish is especially pretty).
- Stir melted vanilla ice cream and pour over the melon pieces.
- Mix in the mint and stir gently to combine, being careful not to break the melon pieces.
- Chill for about 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
First we sliced the melons, honeydew, watermelon and cantelope in half and removed the seeds from the honeydew and the cantelope:
Next we sliced the melons into about 1 inch slices and, using the 3 smallest of the heart sized cookie cutters I found we cut out heart pieces from each melon:
And put them together in a glass bowl:
Next, I stirred the melted ice cream “creme anglaise” and poured it over the melon pieces:
I gently tossed that together and chopped up my mint leaves:
Then I added the mint into the salad:
Once that was gently mixed together we chilled it for awhile and ate! What a delicious fruit salad it ended up being!
Thanks so much to Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake for hosting this special YUMMY edition of #SundaySupper for Mother’s Day!
Check out what the other #SundaySupper folks are cooking up for their mom’s this Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?
It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Want to know the #WeekdaySupper Menu for this Week?
Pop on over to our Weekday Supper Newsletter to see all the DELICIOUS things we’ll be cooking up!