If you are up for a sweet treat, chances are, ice cream is always on the list. I, combination of creamy, sweet and cold delight that anyone can’t resist. And so we are fond of getting ice cream from our favorite shops, or buying our favorite brands because making it at home is a bit of a hassle. You need an ice cream maker to make ice cream which is expensive and an item that is not so practical if you are considering making ice cream just once in a while.
But this problem is not a problem anymore right now, because actually, you can make a tasty ice cream in your kitchen right now with just very few ingredients and simple steps minus the ice cream maker! I bet that is some good news right?
There are few techniques in making homemade, no maker ice cream and we will give you different tips and tricks that you can choose from. But first, what flavors are we looking for? I want a feel of summer and a great mix of flavors and so we are going for a mix of berries for this ice cream. You can put any fruit that you love but I love a mix of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and some strawberries.
I will teach you a healthy, unsweetened ice cream and also a creamy version, both of which needs no ice cream maker and can be made in no time.
Let’s start with the healthy, unsweetened one.
Easy 2 Ingredient Healthy Berry Ice Cream
The berries are naturally sweet and also tart, so if you are conscious of your sugar intake, you can just leave the sugar alone or replace it with alternatives like honey. In this recipe, we will also be using coconut milk or almond milk which is way healthier than other dairy products.
To start, you need to freeze your berries overnight or until they are frozen solid. After that, all you need to do is to put the berries with the cold milk of your choice in a best food processor and pulse it until smooth. This will create a soft-served ice cream consistency which you can eat right away or you can freeze for 2 hours mixing every 20 minutes or so for a finer texture. You can also keep it in the freezer until you are ready to eat! Simple, easy and healthy!
- 4 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup cold milk (coconut or almond or any milk that you want)
- *honey as sweetener
- In a food processor, place the mixed berries with the milk. Process until smooth
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge to set.
Creamy Mixed Berries No Maker Ice Cream
Another way to make no maker ice cream is by making a simple ice cream base of heavy cream+condensed milk. Then you can add any flavor that you wish. Freeze it then you are good to go! There’s nothing easier than that. This recipe makes smooth ice cream with great consistency and also flavors.
With the mixed berries, you can either use the puree of the berries, a compote or jam to be added in the ice cream base. You can also opt to add fresh berries. I personally love to bring it up a few nudges by making a puree to make a swirl and I also add a couple fresh blueberries. This way you will get an awesome flavor combination and great textures.
Mixed Berries Puree:
- 4 cups of fresh mixed berries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sugar
Ice Cream base:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or fresh vanilla seeds from 1 pod
- 1 cup blueberries
Mixed Berry Puree:
- Pulse the mixed berries in a food processor until smooth. Strain this to collect the puree.
- In a pan, cook this puree together with some lemon juice and the sugar until it cooks to a good consistency. Add water to the cornstarch to make a slurry and add it to the puree. Set aside.
Ice cream base:
- In a bowl, beat the cold heavy cream until firm and it holds its shape. You can use a stand or handheld mixer for this. When the cream is in a perfect consistency, add the condensed milk and the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add your mixed berry puree in little amounts and then stir it carefully to create beautiful swirls. Mix in carefully or just top it with some fresh blueberries.
- Place it in a tin container or old ice cream cans. Freeze until set then serve.
Tips: If you don’t like fresh blueberries, you can just make a mixed berry compote instead of a puree. You can try using other fruits or flavors. Your imagination is your limit. I personally love pineapple soft serve ice cream made with the first technique by freezing them. And I love adding mangoes to my easy heavy cream + condensed milk ice cream. You can also add chocolate or caramel or just enjoy it plain and top it with candies or other goodies for the kids to enjoy!
Ice cream not like what we thought is very easy to do at home and can be made in few minutes. Now you know what to do with the fruits in your fridge and the leftover heavy cream. I hope you enjoyed this recipe, until next!