With the holidays coming up I think all of us start thinking about food. And many of us indulge (quite a bit even) in delicious, not so healthy foods at this time of year. That’s why at SundaySupper this week we want to give you some healthier DELICIOUS options to put on your menu this season. That way you can indulge in DELICIOUS food – and feel great at the same time! Thanks so much to Kathia from Basic N Delicious for hosting this week’s event! Be sure to hop over and check out her Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars! And don’t miss any of the other delicious – lighter recipes listed below!
Butternut squash is delicious and healthy. I decided to lighten this soup up from the original recipe I adapted it from which calls for regular Italian sausage and pasta (see link below – in recipe). I omitted the pasta (add some if you need or want the carbs) because I didn’t feel it was needed in this delicious soup, and I substituted lower fat chicken sausage, which is so scrumptious too! And who can resist kale? It’s totally the IN leafy veg to use these days. If you can resist it, feel free to replace it with spinach, or your favorite leafy green. If you prefer this as a meatless or vegetarian meal, omit the sausage and use veggie broth instead of the chicken and VIOLA – you have a delicious vegetarian soup!
Unlike many butternut squash soup, this is a chunky version, with pieces of squash and sausage in the soup – makes for a very hearty soup!
You could serve this up for a soup course at Thanksgiving, a delicious lunch, or even a light dinner anytime during the holidays! And right now winter squash like butternut is very economical!
- 1 butternut squash (cut in half, seeds and pulp removed, seeds reserved.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- sprinkle garlic powder
- 1 lb. chicken sausage (precooked, your choice of flavor)
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 stalks celery, sliced
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 12 oz. kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Rinse reserved butternut squash seeds well and place them in a small bowl.
- Drizzle butternut squash halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. pepper and garlic powder, and add some olive oil salt, pepper and garlic powder to the bowl with the seeds. Stir the seeds to coat with oil and seasoning. Place butternut squash halves, flesh sides down, on a baking sheet. Use a fork to poke several holes in the butternut squash. Place seeds on a smaller pan or on a small piece of heavy duty aluminum foil with the sides folded up (to make a mini-baking sheet out of foil).
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While squash is baking, saute onion, celery and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until translucent. Slice chicken sausage and add to skillet and continue cooking until sausage is lightly browned.
- Add a cup of chicken broth to skillet to deglaze.
- In a large stock pot combine the remaining chicken broth, tomato sauce, sage and the finish roasting.
- When squash and seeds are finished, set seeds aside and cut lines into squash to make hash marks. Remove pieces by scooping them out of the skin and add to soup base.
- Raise the tempature to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the soup to a simmer and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Chop kale into small pieces and add to the soup.
- Stir kale into soup and continue to cook until kale is wilted (about 2-3 minutes).
- Taste soup and add salt and pepper to taste (you may also add more cayenne if you prefer it spicy).
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle a small amount of roasted seeds into each, if desired.
Here are all of the lighter holiday dishes I promised:
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?
It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Want to know the #WeekdaySupper Menu for this Week?
Pop on over to our Weekday Supper Newsletter to see all the DELICIOUS things we’ll be cooking up!