I recently learned how to make simple artisan bread, and I’m here to share with you my newest adaptation – Seeded Artisan Bread. After making DIY Artisan Bread a few weeks ago, and how easy it was, and what rave reviews it got, I thought I’d try to add some seeds and see if it worked out. It did. It was delicoius. And gone in a day.
I started by mixing all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Once the ingredients were thoroughly combined, I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and set it aside to rise overnight.
When I was ready to make it around noon the following day, it had risen well.
I removed it from the bowl and put it on a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of my slow cooker crock and overlap the edges.
Meanwhile, I had the crock of my slow cooker in the oven preheating to 400° Fahrenheit. When the oven and crock had preheated, I removed the crock from the oven and put the dough, parchment included, into it. I carefully covered the crock with aluminum foil and placed the crock back in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes I removed the aluminum foil and finished the bread off for 15 more minutes.
The seeded bread was so hearty and delicious, I know I will be making it a lot.
- 3 cups flour (I used 2 cups all purpose and 1 cups whole wheat)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. instant yeast
- ½ cup seeds (sesame, sunflower, flax, poppy, pumpkin, chia, whatever seeds you like in whatever quantities you want to equal ½ cup)
- 1½ cups water
- Combine the first four ingredients together and mix well.
- Add water and mix to combine.
- Put mixture in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sit overnight (or at least 8-12 hours).
- Preheat oven to 400° Faharenheit and place the crock of your crock pot (without lid) or a dutch oven in the oven to preheat.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of the baking vessel and overlap the sides. Cover with plastic wrap from the bowl.
- Once the oven is preheated, remove baking vessel and place loaf (with the parchment paper) into it.
- Cover with dutch oven lid or aluminum foil (for slow cooker crock – DO NOT use slow cooker lid, it cannot take the heat of the oven!) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid or aluminum foil and continue baking for 15 minutes more.
- Remove bread from baking vessel and cool.
What would you add to your artisan bread to jazz it up?
I’m sharing this post on the following link parties: