When I learned that this week’s theme was a birthday party for the #SundaySupper Movement, I was excited! I’ve only been participating with these great people for a couple of months, and I’ve already gained so many friends, learned so many great recipes, and really felt like I’m a part of something important! So HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUNDAY SUPPER! It started a couple of years ago when the founder, Isabel of FamilyFoodie.com hosted a progressive dinner for Sunday Supper. I’m sure she had no idea how far it would come, how much influence it would have, or how many people SHE would touch. It’s really fun to read that first Sunday Supper post and see how far things have come. Thanks so much Isabel, not just for having such a great idea, but for being bold enough to share it in such a wonderful way with us all! And thanks to Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake for hosting this B-Day Party! WoooHOOO!
Little did I know when I started doing #SundaySupper that one of the things I would make most often would end up being Slow Cooker Party Mixes. As I was looking at the recipes I’ve contributed since I started Slow Cooker Party Mixes are the only ones I’ve done more than once. Well, I’ve done them twice, to be exact, I made my B-B-Q Slow Cooker Party Mix for Crunchy Goodness Week in September, and Cheesy Slow Cooker Party Mix for We’ve Got You Covered Week in December. I also made Caramel Slow Cooker Party Mix in October, but I didn’t feature that in a #SundaySupper Post. At any rate, #SundaySupper has inspired the Slow Cooker Party Mix maker in me, and I couldn’t help but think there would be no better time than a birthday to try an ORIGINAL Slow Cooker Party Mix. Of course the party mix is inspired by Chex® Mix. I never call it that, because although I usually use Chex® Cereal, there are other similar cereals that can be used and because I don’t want to step on any copyright toes.
- 9 cups (total) Crispy Cereal (Such as Chex® Cereal)(combine wheat, rice, corn or any other varieties that you think would be good in any quantities you prefer)
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup small pretzels (use sticks or twisted)
- 2 cups bugels (or small crackers of your choice, cheese nips, bagel chips, etc.)
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- Combine cereals, nuts, pretzels and popcorn in your 5 qt. or larger slow cooker and toss to mix.
- In a seperate dish, combine melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powders and seasoned salt and mix well.
- Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture and toss well, making sure to evenly coat the cereal mixture with the butter mixture.
- Line your slow cooker lid with paper towels before closing (this prevents condensation from "dripping" back down onto your party mix)
- Cook in the slow cooker, on high for one hour.
- Remove mix to aluminum foil to dry for at least 20 minutes.
- Store in an air tight container until ready to serve.
I started by putting my cereal, nuts, pretzels and bugels in the crock of my slow cooker.
I tossed them together. . .
and made the butter sauce. . .
. . . and tossed it on the cereal mixture. . .
. . . and tossed it to coat. . .
Whew, the hard part is over.
I turned the heat on high, lined the slow cooker lid with paper towel to prevent dripping, closed the slow cooker, and walked away for an hour.
Here’s what it looked like when I opened the lid.
When I opened it an hour later I poured it out onto some aluminum foil and allowed it to cool and dry for 20 minutes. I could hardly wait, so I started eating it it as soon as it was cool.
Once it is dry, store it in an air-tight container.
Now. . .LET’S PARTY! Let’s see what all the other party guests are bringing to celebrate!
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Pizza Dip from The Food Army Wife
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?
It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Want to know the #WeekdaySupper Menu for this Week?
If you need ideas for dinned on any weenday, pop on over to our Weekday Supper Newsletter.
See all the DELICIOUS things we’ll be cooking up & get inspiration for your own dinners!
This post is being shared on: