Sunday nights at home either calls for some beer or movies. And when I prefer the movies, it is a good time to call my friends over and we stuff ourselves with either popcorn or the original party mix. Though I am an absolute popcorn addict, and I would actually eat it every day of my life, I would love to have a party mix once in a while and enjoy the different flavors and textures of this snack.
The party mix commonly made with different cereals, pretzels, mixed nuts and a couple of seasoning that is mixed with some melted butter. In making your original mix, it is best made in a slow cooker and cooked for hours. There’s always yummy food in waiting I believe. Party mixes are great as an everyday snack, for movie days and of course as pica-pica in parties. It has a great combination of flavors and textures pretty much like a trail mix on the savory side.
Personally, I love the original version of the party mix but I want it a little spicy so I add something for heat which is either cajun spice or cayenne pepper.
In making your mix, it actually depends on you what you want to include in it and what seasoning you are going for. But since we are here for the “original” version, we will focus on the original mix and the seasoning. But we will also talk about another seasoning that you can definitely use.
Making your own party mix is actually very easy and straightforward. You just mix the seasonings in melted butter until everything is dissolved then you pour it over your mix or cereals, nuts, and pretzels. You can finish it in the oven for a few minutes or as what we said we will be doing, in a slow cooker, turning it every 30 minutes for 2 hours.
Truth to be told, we want instant snacks, so why take the extra mile and go for the slow cooker when the oven is just there. The good thing about making it in a best slow cooker is that you can mix the seasonings more evenly and cook it without worrying about it getting burned. And so even if I like things easy and fast, I always make my party mix in the slow cooker because it comes out perfect and it is worth the wait.
With regards to what goes into the mix, looking at the original mix, you will need a corn, wheat, and rice Chex, some crunch from pretzels and some mixed nuts and bagel chips. The original seasoning is made with butter, onion, and garlic powder flavored salt and Worcestershire sauce.
Original Party Mix
- 1 1⁄2 tsps. flavored salt (celery salt will do great)
- 2 tbsps. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. onion powder
- 6 tbsps. butter or margarine
- 9 cups of assorted chex cereals (rice, wheat, corn)
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup pretzel
- 1 cup garlic bagel chips, bite-sized pieces
- or 1 cup regular sized bagel chips, broken into pieces
- Prepare by melting the butter and adding all the other seasonings. Let it dissolve in the butter completely as you don’t want lumps that can concentrate in a single portion of your mix. Set aside this mixture.
- Combine your Chex, nuts and pretzels and bagel chips in the slow cooker. Pour over the prepared seasoning around the party mix and combine.
- Cook it in the slow cooker uncovered for 2 hours stirring it every 30 minutes.
- Put the cooked party mix into an aluminum foil or cookie sheet to cool it down.
You can totally tweak this recipe up by adding your choice or Chex, crunchy treat and nuts depending on your taste. After all, this is your party so you can mix and add whatever you want to eat. In terms of the seasoning, you can opt for the original or other flavors like ranch, cajun or Italian and other flavors that you would love in the mix.
The original party mix is something that you should always try to do at home once in a while. You can keep them in airtight containers and can last up to weeks. I hope you enjoyed this recipe. Until next!